Albuquerque man allegedly shot to death by teens remembered

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) — Mourners are gathering at an Albuquerque park to remember a man police say was gunned down in his driveway by a group of teenagers.

Dozens of people came to a memorial for 60-year-old Steve Gerecke on Saturday morning at Balloon Fiesta Park.

Six teenagers are facing murder charges in Gerecke’s shooting death last month.

Police say one of them shot Gerecke while the mob of teens was prowling through a neighborhood, burglarizing cars and homes.

Police Chief Gorden Eden says one of the teens confessed but the investigation remains ongoing.

Gerecke’s daughter says she holds the teens’ parents responsible.

Gerecke was also a grandfather and husband who was a fixture as a bartender at of the city’s popular sports bars for more than 20 years.

We welcome thoughts and comments from our viewers. We ask that everyone keep their remarks civil and respectful. Postings that contain profanity, racist, or potentially libelous remarks will be deleted. We will delete any commercial postings, as well.

blog comments powered by Disqus