Make sure your car is ready for the snow and ice this winter. The first thing you want to check is your tires. When the tread is worn below 2/32 of an inch, it’s time to replace your tires.
A quick and easy way to check tread depth is with the penny test. All you need is a penny.
- Place penny head-down between the tread ribs on your tire (a rib is the raised portion that runs all the way around your tire, with several ribs making up your tread)
- Check how much of Abe’s head is visible. If the top of Abe’s head goes between the ribs, your tread is above 2/32 of an inch and still good, if you can see his entire head above the ribs, your tread is too worn-down and it’s time to replace your tires)
- Repeat the test in several spots around the tire (Uneven tread wear is a sign of improper inflation, or possible wheel alignment issues)
- Visually inspect for dry-rotting on the tread and sidewall
- Repeat the penny test and visual inspection on each tire
If you need new tires head to https://www.u-pullandsave.com/
Check out our tire selection, choose the location and size you need, and instantly browse our inventory.