UPDATE 6:30 P.M.
JACKSON, Mich. (WLNS) — It’s a case that continues to haunt neighbors on Adams Street in Jackson.
A 4-year-old boy, badly burned in filthy house, with no one there to help him.
“I’m glad to see them get what they deserve. Because they were very abusive toward all the kids,” said neighbor Derreck Houtz.
The boy’s step-mother, Christina Ryan, was charged with second degree child abuse and failing to report abuse.
Wednesday, she was sentenced to two years of probation.
The 32-year-old is avoiding jail time, unless she violates her probation.
“Yes, that seems light to me. I think they were all in on it,” Houtz said.
Over the next month, three other adults, including the boy’s father and biological mother, will be sentenced after pleading guilty to child abuse.
In March, the 4-year-old boy was severely burned all over his body by a butane torch lighter.
Court records indicate the adults living in the house did not help him get medical attention.
Instead, someone bought him a stuffed animal.
When police went to the house after being notified of the incident by the boy’s biological mother, officers say the adults lied to them about what happened.
Police eventually got inside to rescue the boy and found a house of horrors.
It was full of trash, vermin, feces, dogs, cats, snakes, a pig and even an alligator.
The city of Jackson immediately condemned the house.
City officials say they’ve set aside money to tear the house down and it will meet the wrecking ball next week.
“It’s a very bad eyesore in the neighborhood. I’ll be ecstatic to see it go,” Houtz said.
6 News contacted Child Protective Services to find out what happened to the boy.
An official says they can’t release any information about abuse cases.
But when we last checked, the 4-year-old was in foster care, and recovering from severe burns that required skin grafting.
“It’s bad what happened. I feel sorry for the child,” Houtz said.
Seven other children were removed from the home by authorities.
Stay with 6 News for updates on what’s happening with the remain adults yet to be sentenced.
UPDATE (10:30 a.m.) – The stepmother of a young boy badly burned in a trash-filled house has been sentenced.
Christina Ryan was sentenced this morning to 24 months probation and a suspended sentence of one year in jail.
She had already pleaded guilty to one count of Second Degree Child Abuse and one count of Failing to Report Abuse.
The 4-year-old boy was hospitalized and required skin grafts after being burned with a butane lighter.
The child’s biological parents are expected to be sentenced next week.
JACKSON, Mich (WLNS) – One of the four adults who Jackson police say didn’t get medical treatment for a 4-year-old boy after he was badly burned by a butane lighter is expected to be sentenced in court this morning.
Christina Ryan, 32, the boys stepmother, pleaded guilty to one count of Second Degree Child Abuse and one count of Failing to Report Abuse.
After her 4-year-old step-son was found with burns on his chest, hands, arms and face back in March.
Police say the adults in the home went and bought the boy a toy instead of taking him to the hospital.
He spent several weeks under medical care with burns so bad that he required a skin graft.
The boy’s biological parents, 31-year-old Oren Ryan and 26-year-old Ashlee Vanness will be sentenced next week.
Both have pleaded guilty to Second Degree Child Abuse.
Ryan faces an additional charge of lying to a peace officer.
Authorities say the conditions of the home where this incident happened were unfit for living with trash and feces piled high and exotic animals living inside including a pig and an alligator.
That home is now condemned.
Six other children were removed from the house were placed into foster care.