My Legal | Money to Children



If you think that part of your estate might be distributed to a child or young adult, you should consider having a trust.

Under Michigan state law, if a minor receives an inheritance, this money is supervised by the court while that child is a minor and then is distributed outright to the 18 year old.

However, it is often not a good idea for an 18 year-old to have full control of a lot of money.  A trust would allow distribution to a child at an age older than 18 say 25 for instance, giving that child more time to mature.

A Trust would also allow you to distribute money to young adults over time – say 1/3 of the money at 25, 1/3 of the money at 28 and 1/3 of the money at 30.

This system allows a young adult to receive money in chunks to learn how to handle that money appropriately.

We welcome thoughts and comments from our viewers. We ask that everyone keep their remarks civil and respectful. Postings that contain profanity, racist, or potentially libelous remarks will be deleted. We will delete any commercial postings, as well.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s