JACKSON, Mich. (WLNS) — Five people have been charged nearly two months after a 4-year-old boy was found badly burned in a house of horrors.
Jackson County Prosecuting Attorney Jerry Jarzynka says authorities took time to carefully investigate and assign the proper charges in this horrific case.
“And now the case is underway,” Jarzynka said.
March 2, police found a 4-year-old boy badly burned by a butane torch lighter inside a house on Adams Street.
Officers also discovered the home was full of vermin, feces, dogs, cats, snakes, a pig, and even an alligator.
Five adults related to the incident were charged Tuesday afternoon.
They’re accused of child abuse, providing dangerous living conditions, and lying to police.
Court records indicate that adults in the house didn’t take the injured boy to the hospital, buying him a stuffed animal instead.
Records show the adults did not cooperate with police when they arrived on scene.
“These are very special cases in the sense that they are very emotional cases. You often wonder why would a child be treated in such a way,” Jarzynka said.
Jarzynka says his office is ready to prosecute this case and advocate for the children.
Court records say the six children who lived in the house are now in foster care.
The 4-year-old boy was in the hospital for several weeks with burns so bad he required a skin graft.
“I can’t comment on that at this time, although I do know that his condition has improved,” Jarzynka said.
The house on Adams Street has been condemned by the city of Jackson.
Those suspects are due back in court next month for a hearing.
As of Wednesday evening, only two of the five suspects have been released from jail on bond.
6 News sent them messages on Facebook to see what they have to say about the charges but they have yet to respond.
UPDATE 2:10 p.m. – Christina Ryan and Robert Newman have both been released on bond. Oren Ryan, Tyler and VanNess are still in custody.
JACKSON, Mich (WLNS) – An update now on an investigation into a 4-year-old boy who was found living in deplorable conditions after an emergency call in Jackson.
According to Jackson County Prosecutor Jerry Jarzynka the boy was taken from the home on the 400 block of Adams Street after he was burned in early March.
Police say a butane torch lighter set his shirt on fire, then spread across his chest, body and face.
Investigators say the adults living in the house made no attempt to get him medical help and police only found out about his burns after another relative tipped them off.
What investigators found when they went inside the house was shocking.
The home was falling apart and piled with trash, feces and multiple animals.
Police say the adults had snakes, a pig and even an alligator living inside.
The boys parents, Oren Ryan and Ashlee VanNess, are each facing child abuse charges.
Oren is also charged with tampering with evidence.
The boys stepmother, Christina Ryan, is also facing child abuse charges.
Autumn Tyler faces the same charge.
Robert Newman is charged with one count of lying to a police officer.
The 4-year-old boy is now in foster care.