2 dead, high levels of carbon monoxide found in home

LANSING, Mich (WLNS) – Carbon monoxide is odorless, invisible and poisonous.

Ultimately it can be fatal if you breathe it in.

Fire officials are warning families in mid-Michigan about the toxic gas, especially with the power outages across the state.

They encourage you to get a detector and make sure the batteries are working.

Last week the state endured a strong wind-storm that knocked out electricity to hundreds of thousands of people across the state, leaving many residents to depend on their generators.

With temperatures expected to drop today and tomorrow fire officials say it’s important to make sure you are properly handling external power sources to prevent carbon monoxide leaks in your home.

Over the weekend an elderly couple died in their Leoni Township home after police found a generator running in their garage which seeped high levels of carbon monoxide in their home.

Fire officials are asking people to make sure there is a working carbon monoxide detector on each floor of the house, including the basement and sleeping areas.

As we spring forward into a new season the National Fire Protection Agency says now is a good time to check the batteries on your carbon monoxide and fire detectors.

MORE: Safety for You: Finding “The Silent Killer”

We welcome thoughts and comments from our viewers. We ask that everyone keep their remarks civil and respectful. Postings that contain profanity, racist, or potentially libelous remarks will be deleted. We will delete any commercial postings, as well.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s