FOWLERVILLE, Mich (WLNS) – A teaspoon sized mercury spill is forcing the closing of Fowlerville High School again tomorrow.
The school was closed today after cleaning crews found liquid mercury in a classroom.
Superintendent Wayne Roedel said in a letter to parents that all mercury had been removed from the school back in 2004, per state law.
School officials believe a student brought in a mercury switch or mercury from an old thermostat/thermometer as a novelty and it spilled on the floor.
An environmental clean-up crew removed the mercury last night.
A third party mercury consultant verified the spill was cleaned up.
Now air quality tests must be done to confirm that there is no air contamination.
The earliest an all-clear could be given is 5:00 p.m. Wednesday.
Roedel says families will be notified by 6:00 p.m. Wednesday night whether the school will re-open on Thursday.