BLACKMAN TOWNSHIP, Mich. (WLNS) — Residents are still reeling from an apartment building fire that left more than a dozen people homeless, and caused a woman to jump out of a window to save her life.
The fire sparked around 9:30 p.m. Thursday at the Springport Glen Apartments on Springport Road in Blackman Township.
Jerome Morris says as he was returning home from work, he was greeted with the sounds of a neighbor screaming who was trapped by fire.
“They kicked the door in, and a couple of us tried to go in, and the fire was so hot it was crazy,” Morris said.
Handprints left under a third-story window tell the story of her terrifying escape.
“She jumped out the window, it was a pretty long way down,” Morris said.
Blackman-Leoni Public Safety says the woman who jumped from the window was not hurt, and everyone else in the building made it out safely.
“It was chaos, that’s all it was, chaos,” Morris said.
Investigators say the fire started in a third floor unit and they’re still trying to figure out how it began.
Crews contained the blaze before it spread to other apartments.
“I didn’t have any damage, luckily. But these people up here they had a burnt roof, everything,” Morris said.
This fire displaces around 20 people.
Apartment complex management says they’re finding empty units for the residents to move into.
“They’re doing a pretty good job with it. Just glad I am alright, and everyone else is alright,” Morris said.
The American Red Cross has also been assisting residents.
Fire officials say a woman is OK after jumping from a third story balcony to escape an apartment fire.
She’s one of about two dozen people who are homeless after the fire at a Jackson County apartment complex on Thursday night.
The flames broke out around 10 p.m. along the 2900 block of Pheasant Run Drive in Blackman Township.
Firefighters say they could see flames coming from the 3rd floor when they arrived and they managed to contain the flames before they spread any further.
But a witness says he saw a woman jump for her life.
“We heard the lady screaming in there,” said resident Jerome Morris, “so they broke the door down and a couple of us tried to go in, but the fire was so hot. I guess the lady jumped out the window. It was a long way down. Chaos, that’s all it was. Just chaos.”
Some 12 apartments are unlivable because of fire, smoke, and/or water damage.
Staffers at the complex say they’re finding empty units for people who had to move out. The Red Cross is helping out, as well.
Stay tuned to 6 News, as Jackson Bureau reporter Aaron Dimick will have more on this story later tonight.