LANSING, MI (WLNS) – Charles Lewis Jr. is still missing Wednesday night, after officials say the convicted murderer left his group home on Sunday to go to work and never came back.
As far as his whereabouts, the search is still on for where he may be and sources tell 6 News, he was not wearing any kind of electronic monitoring device.
According to Kassie Kretzschmar, Vice President of Marketing and Communications for Holy Cross Services said Charles Lewis Jr. has been staying at the Martin Luther King group home in Detroit for about 5 months now.
Kretzschmar said Lewis Jr. had permission to leave the group home on Sunday to go to work at a McDonalds. He never returned.
Details such as what time he left and how he got there are unknown at this time.
Court documents show Lewis Jr., who is now 20 years old, has a past that dates all the way back to kindergarten.
Police say he was just 13 years old when he, and several others, associated with a Lansing street gang, shot and killed 19-year old Shayla Johnson in Lansing back in 2010.
Prosecutors say Charles Lewis Jr. was with gang members, including his father, when they broke into Johnson’s home and tried to kid-nap her.
Documents show, they forced her out of bed and brutally shoved her into a trunk of a car.
When she resisted, she was shot multiples times.
Lewis Jr. was convicted in juvenile court of First Degree murder and several other charges.
We dug into the footage we took the day of his sentencing.
This is what Ingham county Judge George Economy said to him on that day, April 2012.
“I heard testimony that said if you give him this chance but he’s 15 and judge kids have bumps in the road and things will happen. I know a bump from a pot hole, if you do something that’s a bump I can sit there and say ok I can understand that,” Judge Economy said. “If you hit a pot hole, then you need to know the moment you hit that pothole, that I will strongly consider placing you in prison for the rest of your life without the chance of parole. It’s that serious.
Since Lewis Jr. was a teenager at the time of Johnson’s murder, he’s been serving a delayed sentence in a rehabilitation center.
When he turns 21, Judge Economy will decide if he will spend the rest of his life in prison or have a chance at parole.
If you have any information about where Lewis Jr. is located or happen to see him, call Crime Stoppers at 517-483-STOP. Remember, you can remain anonymous.
UPDATE: Convicted murderer Charles Lewis Junior was last seen Sunday when he left his Macomb County group home residence to go to his job at McDonalds. Kassie Kretzschmar, vice president of marketing and communications at Holy Cross Services, tells 6 News that Lewis had permission to go to his job on Sunday but did not return from McDonalds when his shift ended. Lewis is staying at the Martin Luther King Jr Group Home near Detroit. Officials there have notified the police and the Department of Health and Human Services.
LANSING, Mich (WLNS) – One month after admitting he had been drinking alcohol and faking a urine sample, 20-year-old convicted killer Charles Lewis Junior is missing from his group home.
Lewis was last seen Sunday and it’s not known where he is today.
He was convicted of murder when he was 13 and has been in a court-supervised rehabilitation program.
Had he successfully completed the program it was possible he could have avoided going to prison when he turned 21.
Last month Lewis, during a routine progress check, admitted to using alcohol and submitting a fake urine sample.
At that time Judge George Economy took no action.
Charles Lewis Junior was 13 years old when prosecutors say he and six other men, including his father, shot and killed 19-year-old Shayla Johnson in 2010.
But instead of a life sentence Judge Economy sent Lewis to a rehabilitation center and said he’d check-in with the teen to see how he’s doing.
Today Judge Economy’s office refused comment when contacted by 6 News.
This story continues to develop and we will update it as more information becomes available