Bonfire blamed for Lansing housefire

LANSING, Mich (WLNS) – A bonfire that wasn’t properly put out caused a Lansing family to lose nearly everything they own.

That’s what fire investigators in Lansing tell 6 News after spending hours on the scene this morning.

Fire crews got the initial call around 6:00 a.m. to the home on the 800 block of Buffalo Street.

That’s west of downtown Lansing and just south of I-496.

Fire officials tell 6 News that two adults and two dogs were inside at the time but got out safely.

The home is a total loss and will need to be torn down.

According to fire investigators the bonfire the couple started last night, wasn’t properly extinguished and caught the home on fire.

Fire officials say it’s very important to follow “burning ordinances” and “restrictions” to make sure fires like this don’t happen.

We welcome thoughts and comments from our viewers. We ask that everyone keep their remarks civil and respectful. Postings that contain profanity, racist, or potentially libelous remarks will be deleted. We will delete any commercial postings, as well.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s