LANSING, Mich. (WLNS)- The Lake Trust Credit Union and AARP are partnering to help Lansing residents protect their identity.
The free two day event will be held today at the credit union’s West Saginaw branch located at 7007 W. Saginaw Highway from 10:00 a.m to 1:00 p.m and tomorrow at the Lake Lansing branch located at 1300 W. Lake Lansing road from 3:00 to 6:00 p.m.
The Lake Trust Credit Union’s Risk Management team will be on hand both days to offer tips, answer questions and share best practices on avoiding identity thief and fraud.
“Every two seconds someone’s identity is stolen. Identity thief prevention should be important to all of us,” said Lake Trust Credit Union VP of Community Development, Chris Pearson, “This is a wonderful opportunity for community members to become empowered to take charge of their financial health.”
The AARP offers these tips to prevent identity fraud:
- Get a locked mailbox or P.O box
- Limit what information from your bank is mailed to you. Talk to your bank to get online accounts for your bank and credit cards.
- Don’t leave personal information in your car.
- Shred documents that include your personal information.
- If you have a smart phone or other electronic device with personal information on it, make sure this device has a password to protect it.
- Don’t carry your social security card with you.
- Make sure to monitor your bank account activity closely. Call your bank if you see any suspicious activity on it.
- Talk to your bank about putting fraud alerts and freezes on your account. If someone gets a hold of your information, this can stop them from using it.