UPDATE (1:55 p.m.) – 6 News has more on a story we first told you about earlier this week. According to the Ingham County Health Department more than 250 people have been sickened after eating at the Kellogg Center earlier this month. A spokesperson from the ICHD tells 6 News that they expect the number to continue to climb as the investigation continues.
UPDATE (10:23 p.m.) – 6 News has an update for you on the number of illnesses reported after thousands of people attended events at the Kellogg Center last week–
The outbreak has the Ingham County Health Department investigating into what may have caused it and how the timeframe of the sickness has expanded.
So far more than 120 people are reporting gastrointestinal symptoms and Ingham County Health officials say they expect that number to grow.
At this point in their investigation, while the cause is still unknown, the health department has sent samples to the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services for testing.
“Really at this point, it’s kind of like well how did this happen so we can learn from it and make sure it doesn’t happen again, how did this happen so that we can make sure we don’t just jump into another cycle of it,” Ingham County Health Officer, Linda Vail said.
If you were one of the thousands of people who visited the Kellogg Center last week, between February 16th and the 21st, listen up.
The Ingham County Health Department needs your help to narrow in on what may have caused an outbreak of a stomach illness.
Symptoms of the illness include: nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea, and whether you’ve experienced those symptoms or not, the health department is asking you to take an online survey or call them at (517) 887-4312.
“There are a number of things that cause gastrointestinal illnesses,” Vail said.
Getting a better understanding of what bathrooms people used, or rooms they visited, will help move the investigation forward.
“Does it originate out of the food, did it originate out of a sick person and it’s getting transmitted that way or did it originate out of a sick person who then got it into some food,” Vail said.
Food service operations at the Kellogg Center opened back up Wednesday, after being closed for two days while it was thoroughly cleaned and sanitized.
At this time, no new illnesses outside the investigation period have been reported.
“Certainly being closed for two days doing the extensive cleaning that was done, having all sick staff home for at least 72 hours after their illness ends, should stop the transmission of whatever was going on,” Vail said. “Otherwise we wouldn’t have moved forward like we did.”
EAST LANSING, Mich (WLNS) – The number of people who are reporting gastrointestinal symptoms after eating at the Kellogg Center is now topping 120.
6 News first told you that the Ingham County Health Department is investigating the outbreak and expects the number of people stricken to continue to climb.
Originally the investigation was centered on a February 18 event but that has since expanded to all the events that took place at the Kellogg Center between February 16 and February 21.
Everyone who was at an event in that timeframe, whether they were ill or not, is asked to take an online survey.
If you are unable to take the online survey you can leave a message with the ICHD at 517-887-4312.
Health officials know that thousands of people were at the Kellogg Center during those five days in question.
They may not have experienced any of the symptoms of vomiting and diarrhea or if they did they recovered quickly and with no complications.
The Kellogg Center stopped food service for February 22 and 23 and the facility was fully cleaned.
No new illnesses outside the February 16-21 period have been reported.