LANSING, Mich (WLNS) – With heavy snowfall expected tomorrow and Thursday, it might be a good idea to freshen up on how to stay safe on snow-covered and icy roads.
This has been a pretty mild winter in Michigan and it never hurts to have a reminder of how to best deal with tricky driving conditions.
The Michigan State Police have some some reminders:
- Make sure your tires are at the recommended air pressure and check them often.
- Put new wiper blades on both front and rear windshields if possible. In addition, make sure your windshield solvent is full.
- Remove all ice from both your windshields, windows and lights before driving. This will help you see other drivers, and will help them see you!
- Make sure you have a emergency preparedness kit. This should include extra clothes, such as a hat, gloves, coat and extra pair of pants; Blankets; candles; dry matches; flashlight; make sure to bring extra batteries; jumper cables; first aid kit; tow strap; shovel; salt or kitty litter; water; snack foods; first aid kit and a spare tire and jack.
- Keep some of any medications you need to take daily in your car.
- If you do end up stranded do not leave your car. Wait with your vehicle for help.
For more information on the developing weather, check out the StormTracker 6 weather page here.