Delta Twp. firefighters saving lives with smoke inhalation medicine

DELTA TWP., MI. (WLNS) – Two dogs are dead and fire officials say a man who was injured is now stable, after flames tore through his home in Delta Township last night.

Fire officials tell 6 News, two different neighbors noticed smoke and flames at the house on the 500 block of Stoll Road and called for help.

A man and woman were inside when the fire started. The woman made it out, without any injuries, but the man needed to be treated immediately for smoke inhalation — and is currently in the hospital.

Firefighters say when they arrive on scenes like this, they can use a special medicine that could save lives.

They say it’s just another tool in their toolkit — to keep you safe.

It’s a small bottle — with a big impact.

Cyanokit — it’s medicine some fire departments use on the scene, to help people who’ve inhaled smoke.

“Most people die in fires because of smoke inhalation and not from burn injuries,” said Delta Township Fire Chief John Clark.

Chief Clark says for the man affected last night — and others like him — it gives them their best shot at survival.

“Being able to give the Cyanokit right away in the first few minutes, is a much better chance for an outcome, a good outcome, than waiting until you get to the hospital and give this medication,” Chief Clark said.

Here’s how it works — paramedics will mix the Cyanokit with IV fluid, connect it to the tubing — and that’s how fast treatment can begin.

Kenneth Van Hall is an EMS/Training Captain with the Delta Township Fire Department. He says within minutes, Cyanokit kicks out dangerous toxins — like hydrogen cyanide — from your bloodstream, which can have bigger impacts.

“Instead of seven days in the hospital, they could end up — two days, because of the less complications,” Van Hall said.

This is the second time in two years Delta Township has used Cyanokit.

“We’ve had good outcomes from the first one, and we expect a good outcome from this one,” Chief Clark said.

Chief Clark is reminding everyone if there is a fire in your home, to get out and stay out as soon as possible, to avoid breathing in the smoke.

We welcome thoughts and comments from our viewers. We ask that everyone keep their remarks civil and respectful. Postings that contain profanity, racist, or potentially libelous remarks will be deleted. We will delete any commercial postings, as well.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s