Snyder’s budget: Can students and universities manage?

LANSING, MI (WLNS)- Governor Rick Snyder laid-out his plan for the 2017 fiscal year.

It also calls for about 61 million more for the state’s 15 public Universities and 7.5 million more for community colleges.

Governor Rick Snyder’s education plan looks like this, if a Michigan public university agrees to not increase tuition by any more than about 5% that university can get a 4.3% increase in funding from the state.

“It’s on your mind, that its expensive” Lansing Community College student Joanne Davis said about tuition.

College students say paying for school is expensive, and every percentage increase in tuition, means more dollars out of their pockets.

“If they are getting an increase in money from the students or from the state they should be taking it from the state” LCC student Zoe McKiney said.

She and Erika Valencia say it takes money to help a college run, but the state should help provide those funds.

“How are the colleges supposed to meet their requirements when there isn’t anything capping that Bridgeway” Student Erika Valencia said.

Governor Snyder announced that more funding would go to colleges and universities, if they keep their tuition increases below 4.8 percent.

“Clearly Governor Snyder is prioritizing college affordability” CEO of the Michigan Association of State Universities, Daniel Hurley said.

Hurley believes education is one of the most important things the state could invest in,

“’I think it’s the most important the number one attraction for retaining employers and drawing new employers, businesses to the state is having a very well educated, well trained, citizen workforce.” Hurley said.

According to Hurley, 20% of college’s revenue come from the state and the other 80% is from student tuition.

This raises the question, is this proposal going to bring in enough money for universities to manage?

According to Hurley it does.

“That tuition cap incentive should be manageable figure. I for see most if not all of the universities staying within that cap” CEO of MASA Daniel Hurley said.

We welcome thoughts and comments from our viewers. We ask that everyone keep their remarks civil and respectful. Postings that contain profanity, racist, or potentially libelous remarks will be deleted. We will delete any commercial postings, as well.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s