BATH TWP., Mich (WLNS) – Investigators in Bath Township believe items too close to a furnace touched off an early-morning fire Tuesday.
Two adults and two teenagers were inside the house in the 5800 block of Outer Drive when the fire began.
They escaped without injury but the house was heavily damaged.
6 News is told the residents have lost everything they own and are being helped now by the Red Cross.
It took firefighters about an hour to control the flames and their efforts were hampered by the extreme cold.
Crews were working in shifts so that they could thaw out frozen gear.
Fire officials remind people to not store anything close to a furnace or other source of heat.