(WLNS) – You can’t see it, smell it or taste it but radon gas can increase your risk of lung cancer.
But testing is not difficult and the Barry-Eaton District Health Department wants to make it even easier.
Do-it-yourself Radon Test Kits are available for free to residents of Barry or Eaton County during the month of January.
According to a recent survey, elevated levels of radon would be expected in one out of eight homes in Michigan.
The only way to tell whether your home has elevated radon levels is to test it.
Radon is a natural decay product of uranium that is found, at least in some level, just about everywhere.
Outdoors the gas is dispersed but indoors it can be concentrated and reach dangerous levels.
The free Radon Test Kits for residents of Eaton or Barry County can be picked up at several locations.
There is a limit of one kit per address.
Here is where you can pick up a test kit:
• Cloverdale- General Store, 7651 S. M-43 Hwy. 269-623-2994
• Dowling- General Store, 8975 S. M-37 Hwy. 269-721-6000
• Hastings- Health Department, 330 W. Woodlawn Ave. 269-945-9516, x 35
• Middleville- Village Office, 100 E. Main Street 269-795-3385
• Nashville- Good Time Pizza, 501 N. Main St. 517-852-9100
• Woodbury-Terry’s Woodbury Café, 7170 Saddlebag Rd. 517-586-7445
• Bellevue- Riverside Café, 420 E. Capital Ave. 269-763-9481
• Charlotte- Health Department, 1033 Healthcare Dr. 517-541-2615
• Dimondale- Windsor Twp. Hall, 405 S. Jefferson St. 517-646-0772
• Eaton Rapids- Robins Nest, 6053 S. Clinton Trail 517-663-9801
• Lansing- Delta Township Hall, 7710 W. Saginaw Hwy 517-323-8540
• Mulliken- Swede’s Grill, 89 Grand Ledge Hwy 517-649-8941