UPDATE 11:45 a.m. – The leaking natural gas valve has been sealed and the danger has passed for a south Lansing neighborhood.
Emergency crews closed the valve just after 11:35 a.m. and the all-clear was issued at 11:46 a.m. this morning.
At that time residents in the Norman Street and Maplewood Avenue area were told they could return to their homes.
They had been evacuated when the natural gas began leaking into the air just before 10:00 a.m.
Residents were kept safe on CATA buses until the danger was past.
We’ll have updates online and on 6 News during the day.
LANSING, Mich (WLNS ) – A stuck natural gas valve forced a Lansing neighborhood evacuation just before 10:00 a.m. today.
Workers had opened a valve by mistake and were unable to close it, releasing a large amount of natural gas in the area of Norman Street and Maplewood Avenue.
Firefighters and police began evacuating people living in the three blocks around the area of Norman and Maplewood when it became clear the valve could not be closed.
People are asked to avoid the area.
6 News has crews in the area and will have updates online and on 6 News as information becomes available.