Government closes Ford investigation after recall


DETROIT (AP) – The U.S. government has closed an investigation into power steering failures in Ford vehicles after Ford Motor Co. conducted a recall.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration opened the investigation last fall after drivers complained that their power steering failed while they were driving. The defect was blamed for 40 crashes and four injuries.

NHTSA said as many as 850,000 vehicles could be affected.

But Ford said the issue only affected around 394,000 vehicles built between September 2010 and February 2012, before a manufacturing change was made. It recalled those vehicles earlier this summer. The Ford Fusion, Taurus and Flex, Mercury Milan and Lincoln MKZ, MKS and MKT were involved in the recall.

The government said Monday that its research indicates the recall corrected the problem.

We welcome thoughts and comments from our viewers. We ask that everyone keep their remarks civil and respectful. Postings that contain profanity, racist, or potentially libelous remarks will be deleted. We will delete any commercial postings, as well.

blog comments powered by Disqus