EATON COUNTY, MI (WLNS) – Eaton County Prosecutor Doug Lloyd reviewed evidence during a news conference Tuesday to decide whether or not deputies involved in a February shooting should be charged.
Prosecutor Lloyd says at this time the shooting is justified and there are no charges against the officers.
The shooting happened back in February along south Canfield Road in Eaton Rapids.
That’s where police found 32-year-old Matthew Lundy inside his car in a snow bank, after the car slid off the road into a ditch. Police say when they arrived on scene they found a weapon. Soon after shots were fired by two deputies.
Officials reviewed body camera footage from Deputy Cunningham and Deputy Schwartz. One of the body cameras was not working at first. It was determined the body camera was an older model and had a bad connection.
It has been more than a decade since Eaton Co. had an officer involved shooting.
6 News did look into Lundy’s Michigan Department of Corrections records. Lundy had been on probation and was out on bond after pleading guilty in a January retail fraud incident. He was going to be sentenced in that case the following week after the shooting. During the news conference, Prosecutor Lloyd said Lundy had send text messages days before the shooting, stating he would not go back to jail.
After the first deputy fired, Lundy was still alive and holding a gun in his hand. That’s when the backup deputy heard Lundy click his gun and fire. At that point the deputy shoots. As Lundy refused to put the gun down, a school bus turned onto the road.
Deputies continued to tell Lundy to put his gun down and he refused. The backup deputy fired again.
Stay tuned 6 to News for more tonight on 6 News at 11.