LANSING, MI (WLNS) – Two area schools are among 27 schools removed from Michigan’s bottom 5 percent of the lowest-academically performing schools.
State Superintendent Mike Flanagan announced Thursday that he informed the schools of his decision a day earlier. He says the schools are no longer on “priority” status because of their improvements in student achievement.
Waverly Middle School in Lansing and Waldron Middle School in Hillsdale County are among the schools removed from the list.
Under a 2009 law, the lowest-achieving bottom 5 percent of public schools – 138 as of last school year – can be placed into the state’s school reform/redesign district if their “redesign” plan is not achieving satisfactory results.
Flanagan says the 27 schools implemented redesign plans taking them out of the bottom 5 percent, met academic growth objectives and met the required 95 student participation rates on state standardized tests.
Other schools on the list include:
- Bloomingdale Public School District – Bloomingdale Middle and High School
- Cassopolis Public Schools – Ross Beatty High School
- Clintondale Community Schools – Clintondale High School
- Conner Creek Academy East – Michigan Collegiate High
- Detroit City School District – Holmes Elementary-Middle School, Hutchinson Elementary-Middle School, Schulze Elementary-Middle School
- Detroit Community Schools – Detroit Community High School
- Education Achievement Authority – Brenda Scott Academy for Theatre Arts
- Ferndale Public Schools – University High Schools
- Fitzgerald Public Schools – Fitzgerald Senior High School
- Godrey-Lee Public Schools – Lee High School
- Kalamazoo Public Schools – Maple Street Magnet School for the Arts
- Kent City Community Schools – Kent City High School
- Lakeview Community Schools (Montcalm Co.) – Lakeview High School
- Lincoln Park School District – Lincoln Park Middle School
- Marion Public Schools – Marion High School
- Michigan Educational Choice Center – Trix Elementary
- Mt. Morris Consolidated Schools – E.A. Johnson Memorial High School
- New Haven Community Schools – New Haven High School
- Roseville Community Schools – Eastland Middle School, Roseville Middle School
- Ross-Hill Academy – Ross-Hill Academy Elementary
- Saginaw School District – Thompson Middle School
- Westwood Heights Schools – Hamady Community High School