LANSING, MI (WLNS) – Just months after a major development in Lansing opened its doors, there is now significant damage to the building.
According to Steve Mazurek, Public Information Officer with the Lansing Fire Department, a small stove fire sparked at the Marketplace Apartments downtown last night, but it wasn’t the fire itself that forced 11 people from their homes.
A small fire has left a big mess in the newly built marketplace apartment complex in downtown Lansing
Fire crews were initially sent to the scene for a water flow alarm, but when they got up the fifth floor they found a fire.
“It’s been ruled accidental; apparently somebody may have put something on top of the stove and the stove got turned on accidentally that was the cause of the fire,” Mazurek said.
But it wasn’t the fire that left some without a place to stay tonight, rather the sprinkler system inside the complex that put the fire out.
‘There were 11 units out of the 79 that are there that are inhabitable right now because of water damage,” Mazurek said.
Some of the water actually got into the electrical system, prompting the city electrician to close the 11 units down for safety reasons.
“Those sprinkler systems put out a lot of water and as you know water travels down.. So all those units below that unit got damaged,” Mazurek said.
The building is owned by Lansing Development Company, the Gillespie group. The group released a statement today, saying “We have offered accommodations to those impacted by the fire and subsequent water damage. Gillespie team members are in the office today and ready to help our Marketplace residents who may need additional assistance.”
Today, multiple restoration crews worked at the complex to clean up the affected units.
The Red Cross is also helping any tenants without a place to stay.