COLDWATER, MI (WLNS) – Twice in a matter of hours, crews found themselves battling a fire at the Coldwater Inn.
It happened in the 100 block of East Chicago Rd. Monday.
The fire is believed to have started from the manager’s office, where he had been living.
“The electrical wiring and the services to the facility were very questionable as far as code compliant,” said Paul Dove, Coldwater fire marshal.
Fire marshal Paul Dove says their initial investigation found multiple breakers popped showing significant electrical use
“Multiple use of extension cords, wires spliced into each other in the attic.”
Those wires and metal roof design forced the fire to spread about 200 feet across the complex.”
Giving crews little option, but to knock down part of the building.
“The attic was already gone, in that decision, we had heavy smoke and fire damage inside the rooms, so at that point they weren’t salvageable.”
And because of that faulty wiring inside the manager’s officer here at the Coldwater Inn, fire officials say an initial guess say this is an accidental electrical fire, but an official cause has yet to be released.
“At 830, when I opened the door, this was empty,” said David Anderson, Dire. Coach Eby Youth & Family Center.
David Anderson says the community is quickly helping those 80 or so by dropping items off at the Coach Eby Youth Center.
“They’re coming in two three at a time on the side here on Clay Street and we are stacking them up, little kids, toddlers, boots, hats gloves mittens,” said Anderson.
“Until we serve everybody we just stay.”
The Red Cross is also on hand to make sure people stay warm and hope to find them a permanent place in the coming days.