LANSING, MI (WLNS) – With another round of arctic temperatures hitting mid-Michigan today and into this weekend, Michigan State Police want to make sure you stay safe and warm.
With wind chills expected to dip to near 30 below this weekend, any exposure for an extended amount of time could lead to frostbite or hypothermia.
To stay safe MSP has some tips for both indoors and outdoors.
– When talking about the inside of your home you should weather proof your doors and windows to keep the heat in.
– Also check your heating units and test your carbon monoxide detectors.
– If any of your clothes get damp or wet you should change them immediately.
– And of course watch your pets closely. If it is too cold outside for you it is also too cold for your pets.
– Finally if you do have to travel make sure you have a full tank of gas and an emergency preparedness kit in your vehicle that includes gloves, blankets and hats.
– If you become stranded do not leave your car, stay inside and wait for help.