PARMA, MI (WLNS) – Residents at an historic apartment complex in Parma remain homeless this morning after building built in the 1800’s burned to the ground.
The fire started early Saturday morning on Main Street in downtown Parma. Several families lived there but everyone got out safely.
Fire departments from across the area fought the flames for more than six hours before they got it under control. Those who lived there are now searching for a new home and some surrounding businesses are condemned due to safety concerns.
The Michigan State Police Fire Investigation unit is trying to figure out what sparked the flames. In the meantime both the community and the American Red Cross are working to help those families who lost everything.