(WLNS) – A couple has been arraigned on felony charges connected to the overdose death of a three-year-old child, according to our media partners at WHMI.
Jared Kyle Brock, 24 and his girlfriend Chelsie Lenee Marme, 22 were babysitting Brock's 3-year-old niece back on Aug. 31, 2013. Officials believe the girl got a hold of a Suboxone pill and swallowed it. The synthetic opiate is used to treat opiate dependence and may have belonged to Brock.
According to officials, the couple was told to take the 3-year-old to the hospital, but they did not.
The girl's paternal grandmother found the child unable to breathe and called 911 later that night. Emergency responders were unable to revive the girl.
Brock's bond is set at $500,000 because of his habitual offender status and Marme's is set at $200,000. The two have an exam conference later in January and are facing losing custody of their 7-month-old son.