Non-Profit Office Building Catches Fire

A Jackson office building caught fire early Sunday morning, temporarily displacing several non-profit organizations.

The Jackson fire department says flames sparked around 8:30 A.M. at the United Way building on the 200 block of West Ganson Street. According to fire officials, the fire started from a heating unit on the roof and was called in by a passerby.

The structure only suffered minor smoke and water damage. Crews worked Monday to clean everything up in order to be able to turn on the water and electricity.

The USDA Farm Service Agency experienced the most damage of all the groups in the building. Since the FSA office in Jackson will likely be closed until Thursday, they're asking people who need to do business there to contact the Ingham County FSA office. Fire fighters say it's a good thing they were close, as it could have gotten a lot worse quickly.

“You're probably looking at easily $20-15,000 by the time you figure a heating unit and so forth,” said Assistant Fire Chief Steve Childs with Jackson Fire Department.

Workers say the goal is to have everything re-opened by Thursday.

No injuries were reported.

We welcome thoughts and comments from our viewers. We ask that everyone keep their remarks civil and respectful. Postings that contain profanity, racist, or potentially libelous remarks will be deleted. We will delete any commercial postings, as well.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s