Two members of a janitorial service are in custody after they were caught making meth inside the business they were supposed to clean. The business is just blocks from capitol, across the street from the courthouse.
Police say a 31-year-old Lansing woman and 32-year-old Lansing man were cooking meth in the kitchen area of the Insurance Institute of Michigan, a company that rents space from the Michigan Beer and Wine Wholesalers Association building.
“They observed some people they believed from another cleaning crew from a different company that was supposed to do a different part of the building but was in the wrong area. Based on some of their observations, apparently thought they were trying to steal some beer,” said Lt. Timothy Gill with the Tri-County Metro Narcotics Squad.
“No insurance institute employees were involved. It was actually a contracted janitorial service and their employees,” said Executive Director Pete Kuhnmuench of Insurance Institute of Michigan. “You know, I'm really dumbfounded this is something that came out of the blue.”
Ingham County Public Health Officials shut down the office space for now to see if any of the meth chemicals are lingering in the air or on furniture in the office.
“The ultimate health hazard could be death, especially if you're respiratory sensitive. It could put you into respiratory shock,” said Deputy Director Christopher Klawuhn with the Bureau of Environmental Health. “It's better to make sure the site is clean and safe for the workers, the staff in the building then to just have them go in and potentially go into a harmful situation.”
Public Health Officials ruled the other offices in the building safe, so those stayed open for business. Lansing Police say it's likely the suspects will be arraigned Friday.