The Lymphedema Clinic at Michigan State University is a physician driven clinic that has been established to address the needs of individuals with a diagnosis or potential diagnosis of lymphedema in the mid-Michigan area. We offer ongoing management of the patient from the initial diagnosis through treatment and then regular follow-ups with our specialized team of healthcare professionals. Due to the lack of information in the community with respect to identifying Lymphedema as a health issue, both in the general population as well as within the healthcare field, we are striving to provide education on multiple levels with regard to the identification, diagnosis and treatment of lymphedema.
Lymphedema Clinic Goals
- Staff physicians who are trained in the identification of lymphedema.
- Staff certified lymphedema therapists for the one-on-one treatment of individuals with lymphedema.
- Provide individual education to patients and their families/caregivers about lymphedema.
- Provide outreach to the community to educate other healthcare professionals on the identification of lymphedema and subsequent options for treatment.
- Ensure patients obtain the correct garments for the management of their lymphedema.
- Promote prevention and continued care for lymphedema through the lifespan of the patient in order to prevent complications and possible hospitalizations.